Our cooperative approach to a clean grid starts now
We are pursuing an aggressive transition to a cleaner energy portfolio.
How we are transforming
- Developing a Responsible Energy Plan to comply with aggressive carbon reduction, renewable energy and resource planning requirements, ensure reliability and affordability and strive to lower wholesale rates while maintaining our strong financial position.
- Engaging with former Colorado Governor Bill Ritter and the Center for the New Energy Economy to facilitate a stakeholder process that will contribute to our Responsible Energy Plan.
- Creating more opportunities for our members to develop local renewable energy by considering the types of memberships and contracts we offer.
- Increasing our renewable resources, with new wind and solar projects and a request for proposals for even more projects.
- Exploring opportunities with solar and energy services providers to make community-scale solar, energy storage and electric vehicle infrastructure more available to our members at a lower cost.
We are already off to a great start
- Today – Our energy portfolio includes more than 475MW of utility-scale wind, solar and other renewable projects. Our renewables power the equivalent of 500,000 homes.
- June 2019 – We issued our 6th renewables request for proposal since 2007.
- 2019 – we announced the addition of an additional 100MW of solar and 104MW of wind. These new projects will increase our wind and solar energy by 45% and power 75,000 homes a year.
- 2018 – We hit a new milestone with our renewable generation – nearly a third of the energy used by our cooperative consumers came from renewable energy. Less than half of Tri-State’s renewable portfolio is from federal hydropower.
- 2018 – Gave a record level of member rebates through our Energy Efficiency Products Program, which has been in place for decades.
- We have reduced our use of coal by increasingly accessing market power when advantageous, and with the retirements of:
- 2017 - San Juan Generating Station in New Mexico
- Early 2020 - Nucla Station
- End of 2025 - Craig Station Unit 1
Tri-State's mission is to provide our member systems a reliable, affordable and responsible supply of electricity in accordance with cooperative principles.